A Mantra is a combination of syllables, sounds or phrases, realized by ancient sages, which have been widely known in India. When the breath is focused with a specific sound, it gives all kinds of success. Only those who have previous birth Samskaras like Sri Rama, Arjuna or others with their teacher’s grace receive knowledge of the elements. Those elements are the makers of the human body. Hence when Surya Namskara is combined with breathing and Mantra, the mind and intellect are energized. There are Bija mantras called seed sounds which create energy. These may or may not have specific meanings as per modern understandings but their vibrations will reach every cell of the body. They represent the resonant frequency of the chakras.
Here are the Bija Mantras and the basic practices to activate the chakras;
- Lam- Kriyas (in-door and outdoor)
- Vam- Brahmacharya, Kriyas
- Ram- Yogic Diet habits
- Yam- Japa, and Ajapa
- Ham- Variety of Kumabakas
- Aum- Trataka and Shambhavi mudra
These have the representation with Chakras, Tattva, Kosha, the music, and Guna.
|Bija Mantra||Chakra||Tattva||Kosha||Musical sound||Guna (Quality)|
|Lam||Mooladhara (Perineum)||Prithvi (Earth)||Annamaya (Physical)||Sa (Do)||Tamas|
|Vam||Swadhishtana (Coccyx)||Apas (Water)||“||Re (Re)||“|
|Ram||Manipura (Navel)||Tejas (Fir)||“||Ga (Mi)||Rajas|
|Yam||Anahata (Heart)||Vayu (Air)||Pranamaya (Etheric)||Ma (Fa)||“|
|Ham||Vishuddhi (Throat)||Akas (Eather)||“||Pa (So)||Sattwa|
|Aum||Ajna (Eyebrow center)||—||Manomaya (Mental, Vijnanamaya, intuitive)||Dha (La)||“|
|—||Bindu (back of the head)||—||—||Ni (Ti)||—|
|Aum||Sahasrara (Crown of the head)||—||Anandamaya (Blissful)||Sa (Do)||—|
Uses of chanting these Bija mantras;
- Lam- Obtain lightness of body
- Vam- Hunger, and thirst can be overcome, can stay longer inside the water (power over water)
- Ram- Can be able to bear the sun or fire.
- Yam- Can experience levitation
- Ham- Can gain the power of prosperity, jewels, gems, etc.
- Aum- Develops strong insight (self-awareness)