MEANING: Saint Marichya Pose (Spinal twist in Sitting)
TYPE OF PRACTICE: Endurance practice that is Asana
REFERENCE: Yoga texts like Yoga Mala by Pattabhi Joice also called Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga developed for intense natural detoxification of the body, breath, mind and allows the natural tranquility.
PURPOSE: It was described in 4 variations to unfold the Mooladhara, Swadhishtana and Manipura chakras. These the initial energy centers to be activated for the effortless flow of “Kundalini Energy”. We will discuss the first variation that is termed as Maricyasana-A.
Step-1: Inhale, Dandasana (Starting pose in Sitting)
Step-2: Exhale, Bend the right knee to place the foot flat on the floor just beside the left thigh with a little gap.
Step-3: Inhale, Rise the right arm from sideways, exhale to encircle the right leg and thigh and reach the lower back to catch the left wrist.
Step-4: Inhale, look front and stretch the spine upwards
Step-5: Exhale, bend from hips to touch the shin bone with forehead or at least with the chin.
This is the final pose to be maintained with a comfortable breath.
Step-6: Inhale, raise the head and straighten the spine.
Step-7: Exhale, release the arms
Step-8: Inhale, straighten the right leg and sit in Sithila Dandasana (relaxed sitting)
- Mechanical helping techniques:
- 1.1 – Pillow under thigh: This stretches the Hamstrings which allow the forward fold.
- 1.2 – Pillow underneath the Glutei: This stretches the Hamstrings which allow the forward fold.
- Manual helping technique:
- 2.1 – Pull the right thigh towards the body. Push the mid-thoracic region towards the left foot but never downwards.
- 2.2 – If the chin is reachable then push the mid-thoracic region downwards and allow the forehead to touch the left shin bone.